SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 9 December 2017

TV | The Mist (2017)

The Mist 2017 Poster

Cast: Morgan Spector, Alyssa Sutherland, Gus Birney, Danica Curcic, Okezie Morro, Luke Cosgrove, Darren Pettie, Russell Posner, Frances Conroy

Summary:
After an eerie mist rolls into a small town, the residents must battle the mysterious mist and it's threats, fighting to maintain their morality and sanity.

Genre: Drama, Thriller, Horror

Season(s): 1 (cancelled shortly after Season 1)

Watched: November 2017


I watched The Mist back in 2010 when I did my 100 Films Challenge (read my review on The Mist (2007)) and I absolutely loved it, so when I heard that there was going to be a TV show I was super excited.
Unfortunately I didn't like the show as mush as I wanted to. A lot of things happened that I didn't understand and that I just couldn't get my head around like the rape storyline between Alex (Gus Birney) and Jay (Luke Cosgrove).

Alex is allegedly raped by Jay at a party she attended with her best friend Adrian (Russell Posner) and when the mist hits the town Alex and her mother Eve (Alyssa Sutherland) discover they are trapped in the mall with Jay. For me this is where things stopped making sense as the two somehow get closer throughout the course of the show, shown in scenes such as when Jay tries to prove his innocence by asking Alex to let him touch her, when Alex helps to bandage Jay's wound after he rescues her from a fire and they even go on a "date" where they kiss!
The one thing that is never made clear while all this is happening is does Alex still believe that Jay raped her? Not once does she ever say to him (or anyone else) that she doesn't think he raped her and yet she does all of the above.
Not only that but Jay himself doesn't even question her! If you're so adamant that you didn't rape someone and are so eager to prove your innocence, why are you kissing them, why would you not question them. Do they no longer believe you raped them, does she not know who did it, or was she lying for some twisted reason.
The Mist 2017 Still
I also didn't get Alex's mother Eve. She hates Jay and doesn't want to see him anywhere near her daughter but when she sees the two get closer she decides that the best thing to do is to kidnap him and lock him away in a secret room.
I however would like to know why she never questions her daughter, especially after she sees the two getting closer. A mother would surely wonder why her daughter was spending time with the person who she says raped her, does she no longer believe he did it, did she lie or is she being manipulated.

There are a whole load of other reasons as to why I didn't really like the show, most of which can be found in Chris Scott's review: First Season of 'The Mist' Should Also Be The Last, which I loved although I do have to say I am very petty so I was more than happy to see Kevin drive his truck into the supermarket. Despite the fact that I felt it strayed to far from the original story, although I did like that there seemed to more hints about where the mist came from.

I definitely think that it had potential (if it was written differently and had different actors) but boy am I glad it was cancelled.


Rating: 4/10
One Final Word: Not Impressed

Post a Comment