SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 3 September 2017

Raze (Josh C. Waller, 2013)


Cast: Zoë Bell, Rachel Nichols, Tracie Thoms, Bruce Thomas, Sherilyn Fenn, Doug Jones

Summary: 50 women are abducted and told they must fight to survive and save the lives of their loved ones.

Genre: Action, Drama

Watched: April 9th,2017


Kidnapped by husband and wife team Elizabeth (Sherilyn Fenn) and Joseph (Doug Jones), women are turned into brutal killers when they are forced to fight each other in a series of one-on-one combats until only one remains.
If they refuse to fight both they and their loved ones will be killed, lose the fight and their loved ones will be killed, be the last woman standing, their family will be safe and they themselves released back into society, forever transformed and all for the entertainment of unseen spectators.

I thought the opening scene was absolutely brilliant but I don't want to spoil it though so I won't say what happens. When I started writing this review I read a review where the person had said that they thought it was predictable, I definitely didn't think so, did you?

I liked how it plays with gender norms but for me it never actually goes anywhere. Matt Zoller sums it up perfectly in his review saying, '"Raze" begs to be read as allegory, perhaps for the way patriarchal society treats women as objects, entertainments, prisoners or slaves, pits them against one another for the prize of male approval, and pressures them to conform to limiting roles: girlfriend, wife, mother, tramp. Tantalizing fragments of meaning ricochet in the film's margins, but they never freeze long enough to let you look at them.'.

I thought the script was okay, although I was not a fan of the incredibly obvious rivalry very early on between Sabrina (Zoe Bell) and Phoebe (Rebecca Marshall). The acting was only okay at times for me, my favourite performance definitely came from Zoë Bell (although much of her acting is also questionable). Nicole Steinwedell (Isabelle) definitely came a close second and if she had been one of the earlier characters I think she would have been absolutely brilliant.

Even though the acting and the script weren't the best I still really enjoyed the film. The fight scenes were definitely the best bits for me, they were super realistic and the first couple were really impressive. There were definitely a few more heads slammed into walls, stamped on and neck broken then I was expecting.


Rating: 6/10
One Final Word: Good

Post a Comment