SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 23 July 2017

Split (M. Night Shyamalan, 2016)

Split 2016 Poster

Cast: James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy, Betty Buckley, Brad William Henke

Summary: Three girls are kidnapped by a man with a diagnosed 23 distinct personalities. They must try to escape before the apparent emergence of a frightful new 24th.

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Watched: February 3rd, 2017


Before Split I had only ever seen three M. Night Shyamalan films, The Sixth Sense (1999), The Last Airbender (2010) and The Happening (2008) (which I'm a little obsessed with).
Yep that's right people, I haven't seen Unbreakable (2000) *GASP*. I did try to watch it when I was younger but I couldn't get in to it, but never fear, it is on my list of films to watch (it's a very long list though).

I knew the film was going to be good as soon as I saw the trailer but I actually had no plans to watch it because I thought it would be too scary for me (I'm a bit of wimp), but after seeing the trailer during pretty much every TV advert I decided to go see it.

The film tells the story of Kevin (James McAvoy), a young man with dissociative identity disorder. Treated by his psychiatrist Dr. Karen Fletcher (Betty Buckley) he appears to be stable, that is until Dr. Fletcher notices that something isn't quite right.

In his mind Kevin's multiple personalities sit in chair in a room each waiting for their turn in the light aka controlling the body. "Barry", the dominate personality, is in charge of deciding who goes into the light but it slowly becomes clear to Dr Fletcher that Barry may no longer be in charge.
We later discover that 'Dennis', a personality with obsessive-compulsive disorder and "Patricia", two personalities that are usually kept in the dark to protect Kevin, have somehow broken through, overtaking Barry as the dominant one and kidnapping 3 teenage girls.
Split 2016 Still We had a pretty awful start to our cinema trip which meant that we missed the first 5-10mins of the film. I was super annoyed and very hot (we ran from one side of the cinema to the other after they sold us tickets to the wrong screening) and I struggled to get into the film for the next 15-20mins.

When I was finally able to relax I thoroughly enjoyed this film and it was definitely nowhere near as scary as I thought it was going to be (although I was definitely freaked out at times). There's a point where the plot seems unimportant and your focus is turned on the characters instead, which I quite liked.

I enjoyed Anya Taylor-Joy's performance as Casey but for me the stand out is definitely McAvoy, to be able to play each individual personality so convincingly, just wow, I thought he was brilliant. I've only seen him in two other films but I think after this I definitely have to watch some more of his work.


Rating: 8.5/10
One Final Word: Brilliant!

Post a Comment