SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 23 May 2017

TV | Shadowhunters (2016)

Shadowhunters TV Series

Cast: Katherine McNamara, Dominic Sherwood, Emeraude Toubia, Alberto Rosende, Matthew Daddario, Harry Shum Jr and Isaiah Mustafa

Summary: After her mother disappears, Clary must venture into the dark world of demon hunting, and embrace her new role among the Shadowhunters.

Genre: Action, Fantasy

Also Known As: Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments
Seasons: 1-2 (Renewed for Season 3)

*Beware there be spoilers*


I've written on here a few times about my love for Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments book series, the first time being in my first What I'm Excited to See post.
I remember being super excited when I found out that they were releasing a film and I read all the books in preparation for its release; however when I finally got round to seeing The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) I was left feeling a little disappointed (you can read why in my review)!

A few hours after I watched the film I started watching the Freeform TV show Shadowhunters which is also based on the Mortal Instruments books.
The show, now in its second season, is currently on a winter break and is back with episode 11 on June 5th!

I think season two has been pretty good and even better the first season.
There were a few things that were a little bit off about the first season, but for me my biggest issue was with Clary (Katherine McNamara) and Alec (Matthew Daddario). I hadn't read the books for a good couple of years so I could be remembering things wrong but I don't remember Alec being soo hostile.
Shadowhunters TV Still

I know it's common for screen adaptations of books to change, take out or introduce new characters, scenes, events e.c.t. and Shadowhunters likes to do this quite a lot.

In the first season there was the addition of Lydia Branwell (Stephanie Bennett), an envoy from the clave who later became Alec's fiancée and in season two there was the addition of Victor Aldertree, who I'm not a fan of at all and the death of Jocelyn (Maxim Roy)!

Did her death shock anyone else?!

For me Aldertree's character feels a little random. Although he's explained why he's there I don't really see the point of his character. He says he was brought in to replace Lydia as her leadership was ineffective and to question the team at the institute about their unsanctioned missions and to look into Jace (Dominic Sherwood).
He doesn't seem to be doing a good job though, because to me it looks like these unsanctioned missions are still happening left, right and center. I originally thought he was a character written for the show (like I said, I haven't read the books in a while) but he is actually a character who appears in the books, although slightly later on (City of Glass).

The Lightwood's mother Marsye (Nicola Correia-Damude) is also written a little differently in the show then she is in the book.

I'm loving the choice of actors for the main characters this time around. Although I liked Magnus from the film (Godfrey Gao) I really do prefer Harry Shum Jr as Magnus and Daddario, I just love him, he's much more believable then Kevin Zegers.
Dominic Sherwood is also a much better choice for Jace, he is able to portray the cocky yet mysterious character a lot better than Jamie Campbell Bower who I found to be a bit creepy.

And Valentin (Alan van Sprang) gets a massive yes from me this time round, Jonathan Rhys Meyers was never going to be good in that role.

What do you guys think of Shadowhunters? Who are your favourite characters? Are you looking forward to the rest of the season!!!?

Rating: 8/10
One Final Word: Very Good

Post a Comment