SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday 24 November 2016

Monsters: Dark Continent (Tom Green, 2014)

Monsters Dark Continent (2014) poster

Cast: Johnny Harris, Sam Keely, Joe Dempsie, Jesse Nagy, Nicholas Pinnock

Summary: Ten years on from the events of Monsters, and the 'Infected Zones' have now spread worldwide. In the Middle East a new insurgency has begun. At the same time there has also been a proliferation of Monsters in that region. The Army decide to draft in more numbers to help deal with this insurgency.

Genre: Drama, Sci-fi

Watched: May 8th, 2016


I really enjoyed Gareth Edward's Monsters film, so as soon as I heard that they were making a sequel I added it to my list of films to watch.

I don't go to the cinema as often as I should, so I said to myself that I would wait for this film to be released on DVD before I would watch it. Instead I ended up adding it to my Netflix watchlist and then I avoided watching it because I had heard a number of bad reviews about it.

A lot of people were complaining about the lack of monsters and how the film is instead a war film disguised as a Sci-Fi film.
I 100% agree that this film feels very different in comparison to the first Monsters because it does focus much more on the war side of things then the monsters themselves.
Monsters Dark Continent (2014) Still
However I actually don't mind that the monsters don't play a bigger part in the sequel. With Monsters although they are a very important part of the story (and they do play a bigger part), they're not the focus which I think is also the case with Dark Continent.

The main thing both films have in common is that they deal very much with human connections and the connections we make with people in times of struggle and/or conflict.
I did think that it was a bit long winded but all in all I liked Dark Continent and I would happily watch it again.


Rating: Good
One Final Word: 7/10

Post a Comment