SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 21 October 2016

Last Girl Standing (Benjamin R. Moody, 2015)

Last Girl Standing (2015) Poster

Cast: Akasha Villalobos, Danielle Evon Ploeger, Brian Villalobos

Summary: She survived a brutal massacre, but lost her life. What happens to the final girl after the credits roll?

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Watched: August 28th, 2016


This film instantly caught my eye and it was all because of the title. As a former film student I remember being taught a little about the theory of the last girl in one of my classes.

The final girl is a trope that is seen in horror films, more specifically in slasher films where a series of victims (normally a group of friends) get together and are killed off one by one, by the killer. The last surviving member of the group who is most typically female survives, and either goes on the kill the killer or to escape.

I absolutely love the whole idea of what happens to the final girl after the credits roll, even though it's something that has been done a number of times before Last Girl Standing definitely put its own spin on it.
Last Girl Standing (2015) Still Last Girl Standing is different from many slasher films because it starts the way a sequel would. The film begins with what would be the end of the first film, where Camryn and her friends are attacked before she becomes the final girl who then goes on to kill 'The Hunter'.

I really enjoyed this film, to be honest I wasn't 100% sure I would when it first started but it definitely started to grow on me. For me the beginning and the ending were the best parts, it was the middle section of the film that I struggled with.
When Camryn was attacked in the shop I was with her 100%, I just had a feeling that something bad was going to happen and I was hoping and praying that she would get out in time. However as time went on I found myself starting to dislike Camryn just a little bit and I found myself struggling to identify with her the more stressed she became.

I've read a few reviews and they've all said that the film was predictable and that they could see the ending coming a mile off. Maybe because I normally avoid watching slasher films (horror films in general to be honest) I did not see the ending coming and I didn't think it was predictable one bit.



Rating: 7/10
One Final Word: Very Good

Post a Comment