SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday 14 April 2016

The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014)

The Babadook (2014) Poster

Cast: Essie Davis, Noah Wiseman, Daniel Henshall, Hayley McElhinney

Summary: A single mother, plagued by the violent death of her husband, battles with her son's fear of a monster lurking in the house, but soon discovers a sinister presence all around her.

Genre: Thriller, Horror


Australian writer and director Jennifer Kent’s directorial debut takes the everyday situation of children being afraid of imaginary figures such as the bogeyman and turns it thoroughly on its head.
The story comes about when 6-year-old Sam asks his mother to read a mysterious pop-up book he finds on his shelf, the story of Mister Babadook.

Did I mention that I don’t like horror films? Yes, all the time I know, but let me tell you this; this film completely freaked me out. I was expecting your typical horror story but what I got was so much more than that. It completely draws you in, getting into your mind and lingers long after the film has finished.

Noah Wiseman, who plays Samuel is perfect at the most irritating yet somehow still vulnerable child who seems intent on making his mother’s life a misery by having tantrums in the back of the car, making weapons to defeat monsters and getting suspended from school.

The film explores the taboo subject of mental illness by delving into the mind of a woman plagued by the death of her husband. You witness her sinking further and further into depression even resorting to medicating her son to get him to sleep so that she can rest.

And there's even a pop-up book (there was only a limited number of copies) which I think is incredibly cool. Anyone have one? Actually on second thought’s I think I’ll pass.

I definitely think this film is worth a watch, not only does it have good characters and a good story, but it’s absolutely terrifying.


My Rating: 10/10
One Final Word: Terrifying

Post a Comment