SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 26 April 2016

Dear White People (Justin Simien, 2014)

Dear White People (2014) Poster

Cast: Tessa Thompson, Tyler James Williams, Kyle Gallner, Teyonah Parris, Dennis Haysbert

Summary: The lives of four black students at an Ivy League college.

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Watched: March 29th, 2016


This film had been in my Netflix watch list for months before I finally decided to watch it. I had heard about the film a couple of years ago and was actually waiting for it to come out in cinemas but I ended up missing it.

I really enjoyed this film, I was a bit unsure about it at first but it turned out to be really good.
I spent the first 20 minutes or so incredibly confused because I thought that the film was set in the 70's, but then someone mentioned Housewives of Atlanta and I thought hang on a second that can't be right.

After I realised that the film is actually set in the present day I really started to get into it. The characters are absolutely brilliant, and I love how even though it's full of funny moments I still found myself thinking about some of the questions that were raised.
Dear White People (2014) Still The last few scenes were the ones that I enjoyed the most even though they made me feel incredibly awkward. It was those scenes that really made me sit back and think, shit, I wasn't expecting to feel like that. I totally was not expecting that.


Rating: 8.5/10
One Final Word: Very Good

I found this article on The Guardian that I thought was quite interesting: Justin Simien: 'I'm a black, I'm a man, I'm gay, but I'm more than all of those things'

Post a Comment