SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday 29 November 2010

Coraline (Henry Selick, 2009)

Coraline (2009) Poster
"Be careful what you wish for"

Cast: Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, John Hodgman and Robert Bailey Jr

Summary: An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.

Genre: Fantasy, Animation


I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I think I should start off by letting you know (in case you haven't seen it) that this is a kids film, rated PG and it scared the bejeebers out of me.

I definitely think I would have needed more then parental guidance if I had watched this when I was younger. The film is really strange and pretty creepy at times, so much so that I would have said that maybe it's more for teenagers/adults then children, but apparently kids are loving it.

I really liked Coraline, she seems like such a cool kid (although she can be incredibly grumpy) by the end of the film I was thinking yep she's pretty bad ass. Often ignored by her parents and left to her own devices Coraline finds a mysterious door which lead her to an alternate world, where she discovers her 'other mother and father' (who are super creepy).
Coraline (2009) Still
I think there's some kind of message in this film for children or maybe I'm thinking too much in to it.
I feel like its telling kids to never go with strangers (especially when they look like your parents and have buttons for eyes) even if they tempt you with new clothes, family time and your favourite foods.

If you do you'll have to sew buttons on your eyes. Yep I'm probably thinking into it too much.


My Rating: 10/10
One Final Word: Excellent

Post a Comment