SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 20 November 2010

Babylon A.D (Matthieu Kassovitz, 2008)


Cast: Vin Diesel, Michelle Yeoh, Melanie Thierry, Lambert Wilson, Mark Strong, Gérard Depardieu, Charlotte Rampling

Summary: Torop, a ruthless mercenary is hired to smuggle a mysterious woman from the post-apocalyptic of eastern Europe, to the glittering megalopolis of New York City.

Genre: Sci-Fi, Action


I was super super excited to see this film after seeing the trailer for it but months had past before I actually got the chance to watch it and I have to say people, I was thoroughly disappointed.

Firstly the acting was terrible. Vin Diesel again plays the typical hard man, a mercenary called Torop who is willing to do almost anything for the right price, now his acting wasn't insanely terrible but it wasn't great. Personally I think the insanely terrible acting award goes to Mélaine Thierry.

I was even more disappointed when the film ended, it has a relatively short running time of 90 minutes but it ends up feeling like 40 minutes due to the awful plot and narrative. It was a little difficult to keep up with and make sense of everything that's happening. It is extremely fast paced and feels like massive chunks of information are missing and then the final 20 minutes or so had me super confused. It's like someone decided that the original plot was no good and then thought that the best thing to do start a new one in the last 20 minutes.
Babylon A.D. (2008) Still
Now I'm thinking that maybe the acting is only that bad because he narrative, plot and story are just rubbish.
I've actually seen this film a couple of times since I first watched it purely because I didn't have a clue what was happening the first time around. As awful as it was I have to say this is definitely one of my guilty pleasures, it's just great to find a film that's so awful you can just watch it for laughs.


My Rating- 2/10
One Final Word- Nonsense (but I secretly love it)

Post a Comment