SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 2 March 2010

Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)

memento 2001 poster

Cast: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano, Jorja Fox, Stephen Tobolowsky

Summary: A man suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife

Genre: Mystery, Thriller


I think this film is absolutely brilliant, very confusing but brilliant.

The film opens with a Polaroid photograph of a dead man and plays in reverse taking us to before the man is killed. This is the beginning of the confusion.

Now this film is presented in two alternating timelines, one in colour and the other in black and white. The black and white sequences are shown in chronological order while the colour sequences, although shown playing forward they are actually ordered in reverse.

Are you still with me?
Now if you’ve not seen the film this sounds quite confusing; actually even after you see the film you’ll probably still be confused.

After studying this film as part of my A Level Film Studies I feel like I understand the structure a little bit more (after watching it multiple times) and it totally makes you question everything you thought you knew about the characters.

I would definitely recommend doing some reading up about the film’s structure to get a better understanding of what's actually going on. Personally I think this Memento Analysis is pretty good.


My Rating: 7/10
One Final Word: Very Good

Post a Comment