SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday 4 February 2010

The Magdalene Sisters (Peter Mullan, 2002)

The Magdalene Sisters

Cast: Geraldine McEwan, Anne-Marie Duff, Nora-Jane Noone, Eileen Walsh, Dorothy Duffy and Eamonn Owens

Summary: Three young Irish women struggle to maintain their spirits while they endure dehumanizing abuse as inmates of a Magdalene Sisters Asylum.

Genre: Drama


Like most people I find myself very angry after watching certain films. Any kind of film whether its based on a true story or not where characters are put through awful ordeals really get me going, and this film was definitely one of those films.

Before I watched this film I had no idea what it was about and I certainly had no idea about Magdalene Asylums.
These Asylums or Laundries were institutions that were used to home women who were classed as being fallen by both society and their families. This soon came to include women with mental illnesses, unmarried mothers and those who were considered to be promiscuous.

I thought this film was a truly brilliant film but there were definitely parts that I found hard to watch and the abuse that they were exposed to is definitely not something I would wish on anybody.
I would love to write more about what happens in the film but I don't want to spoil it for you because it is definitely one that I think everybody should see at one point in their life

The Magdalene Sisters Still

If you want to do some more reading here's a couple of interesting articles I found on the Daily Mail site: here and here.


My Rating: 10/10
Perfect for: Everybody (when old enough)
One Final Word: Brilliant

Post a Comment