SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 3 January 2010

Cloverfield (Matt Reeves, 2008)


Cast: Lizzy Caplan, Jessica Lucas, T.J. Miller, Michael Stahl-David, Odette Yustman, Mike Vogel

Summary: A group of friends venture deep into the streets of New York on a rescue mission during a rampaging monster attack.

Genre: Sci-Fi


There's been a crazy number of found footage films such as Paranormal Activity, REC., Quarantine (I’ve not actually seen any of these, pretty sure they’re way too scary for me).
Another film in the found footage genre is Cloverfield, which is told through a camcorder held by Hud (T.J Miller).

I love the use of the hand-held camera as it really gets you engaged and involved in what's happening and as Hud isn't meant to be a professional the camera-work leaves you disorientated, it's shaky and the group is always on the move. Not everyone will like the use of the hand-held camera but I love it and I love the occasional flickers back to footage that was already on the tape.
Cloverfield (2009) Still The reason for the monsters attack is never actually explained, neither is its arrival and for while you don't actually get to see the creature, instead you only get glimpses of the creature normally when Hud happens to catch something on camera.

All in all I thought this film was brilliant and I especially liked the use of relatively unknown actors as I think it adds to the films believability.


and Special effects = Beauty

My Rating- 10/10
One Final Word- BRILLIANT

2 comments :

  1. Nice little round-up of Cloverfield! I saw this movie when it originally came out back in 2008, and having been a fan of giant monsters (Godzilla, King Kong, etc) I thought I could go into this film and not be surprised by anything it might have to offer.

    ...yeah, I was so, so wrong.

    I can't quite recall another film where I came out of it feeling as helpless, frightened, and disturbed as the protagonist whom we went along the journey with. Many of my fellow theater goers must have felt the same because many of them walked out of that movie in complete and stunned silence. Just goes to show how effective the imagery and story telling was of the movie.

    The scene that stands out the most in my mind is when the characters, still trying to talk Rob out of going after Beth, are walking along and are then caught in between a fire fight with the Army and the Monster. Talk about a wow moment.

    Anyway, that's enough out of me. Good review of a stand out movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this is one of the best comments I've received. Thanks for taking the time to read the review :)

      Delete